Southdale ObGyn is excited to partner with M Health Fairview to provide you with evidence based strategies developed to enhance and expedite your recovery after certain gynecologic surgeries.
Southdale ObGyn is excited to partner with M Health Fairview to provide you with evidence based strategies developed to enhance and expedite your recovery after certain gynecologic surgeries. These strategies are called “ERAS” (enhanced recovery after surgery).
Enhanced recovery is a way of caring for patients after surgery to help them get better faster. All of the members of your care team work together with the goal of a smooth recovery in mind.
Enhanced recovery includes interventions before, during and after your surgery. Before your scheduled surgery, your surgeon will review components of the ERAS protocol with you, including the information below. Review the document: Preparing for Your Surgery.
- Discuss procedure with surgeon
- Risks/complications: Anesthesia, blood loss/transfusion, infection, injury (bladder, bowel, ureter, vascular), blood clots, pain
- Correction of anemia
- Smoking cessation (at least 4 weeks prior)
- Alcohol cessation (at least 3 days prior)
- Correction of constipation: Senna/Colace, MiraLAX
- Shower with 8 ounces of antiseptic surgical soap called 4% CHG and clean sheets the night before. Follow the steps in Showering Before Surgery
- Purchase: acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol), ibuprofen, stools softener(s), clear carbohydrate drink (e.g., Gatorade) & 4% CHG antiseptic surgical soap
Day of Surgery:
- Second shower with antiseptic surgical soap morning of surgery. Follow the steps in Showering Before Surgery
- Regular/light diet up to 8 hours prior to surgery
- CLEAR liquids up to 2 hours prior to surgery
- CLEAR carbohydrate drink (Gatorade) 12 oz 2.5-3 hours prior to surgery
- Out of bed > 2 hours per day of surgery, 1+ walks
- Regular Diet + chewing gum 4 hours after surgery
- Day after surgery: Out of bed > 8 hours, 4+ walks
- 1-2L fluid by mouth a day
- Senna/Colace by mouth 1-2 times per day as needed for constipation, + MiraLAX as needed
- Acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol) + Ibuprofen every 6 hours scheduled
- As needed oral oxycodone OR hydromorphone for severe pain
- Lifting: No lifting > 20lbs for 4-6 weeks
- Intercourse: No intercourse for 8 weeks or until post op visit
- Work: off 1-4 weeks
- Follow-up: 2 and 8 weeks